Pizza rolls are a popular, easy, and delicious snack that you cook in a variety of ways. One method for cooking pizza rolls is using an air fryer. Not only does it help produce delicious and crispy pizza rolls, but it is also healthier than traditional frying methods of cooking as it requires little to no oil.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you through the steps to learn how to cook pizza rolls in an air fryer – learn everything from selecting the right kind of pizza rolls to the cooking process itself.
Let’s get started!
Why You Should Know How to Cook Pizza Rolls in an Air Fryer
There are several reasons why cooking pizza rolls in an air fryer is a preferred method over oven baking or microwaving. Firstly, air fryers cook food faster than traditional ovens, which means you can have perfectly cooked tasty pizza rolls in less than 10 minutes.
Also, air fryers require less oil than deep frying, which makes them a healthier alternative. Air fryers use hot air to cook the food, resulting in crispy, fresh, and more delicious pizza rolls without extra oil.
Air fryers are also easier to clean and maintain than traditional ovens and deep fryers. Most models have dishwasher-safe parts, making cleanup a breeze.
What Do You Need to Make Air Fryer Pizza Rolls?
Before you learn how to cook pizza rolls in an air fryer, make sure you have all the ingredients and tools. Besides your air fryer and rolls, here are the other things you’ll need to make perfect snacks.
- Olive oil cooking spray: To prevent the pizza rolls from sticking to the air fryer basket, you’ll need to lightly coat them with cooking spray or oil. The most common option is olive oil but you can choose a neutral-tasting oil like vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Tongs or spatula: Use tongs or a spatula to flip the pizza rolls halfway through cooking and to remove them from the air fryer basket once they’re done.
- Shredded cheese: Sprinkle shredded cheese over the pizza rolls before cooking for an extra melty, gooey treat.
- Pepperoni: If you love pepperoni pizza, add some sliced pepperoni to the top of the pizza rolls for an extra burst of flavor.
- Garlic powder or red pepper flakes: For a garlic flavor and some heat, sprinkle garlic powder or red pepper flakes over the pizza rolls before cooking.
- Ranch dressing: Serve the cooked pizza rolls with a side of ranch dressing for dipping.
- Marinara sauce: Dip the cooked pizza rolls in marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce for a classic pizza flavor.
How to Cook Pizza Rolls in an Air Fryer
Now that you understand what you need to make air-fryer pizza rolls, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of how to cook them to perfection in just a couple of minutes.
Choose the Right Pizza Rolls
Before you know how to cook pizza rolls in an air fryer, it is important to select the right kind of pizza rolls. There are several types of pizza rolls, including vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. Depending on your preferences, you can choose from a range of brands and flavors like Totino’s, Annie’s, and Amy’s Kitchen.
When selecting pizza rolls for air frying, choose those that are not too large or small. Large rolls may not cook evenly in an air fryer, while small ones may burn easily. We recommend choosing one that’s approximately the size of a golf ball.
Also, ensure the pizza rolls are frozen before cooking. Thawing them before cooking can produce a mushy and uneven finish.
Prepare the Air Fryer
Now that you have selected the right pizza rolls, it is time to prepare the air fryer. The first step is to preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take approximately 5 minutes. While the air fryer is preheating, you can prepare the pizza rolls for cooking.
Preheating the air fryer helps to ensure that the pizza rolls cook evenly and come out as crispy as possible. It also helps to reduce cooking time and prevents the rolls from becoming too dry.
Another important part of the preparation process is cleaning the basket to remove any debris or leftover food from the last time you used it. If you skip this step, you may end up with unwanted flavors on the snacks.
Cook the Pizza Rolls
After preheating the air fryer, the next thing is to cook the pizza rolls. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Place the frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer basket, making sure to leave enough space between them so that they cook evenly. Overcrowding the basket may cause uneven cooking.
- Set the timer for 5-8 minutes. This may vary depending on the brand and the size of the pizza rolls. It’s always a good idea to start with a shorter cooking time and then add more time if needed.
- After 3-4 minutes of cooking, use a pair of tongs to flip the rolls over. This helps to ensure that they cook evenly on all sides.
- Once the cooking time is complete, use a spatula or pair of tongs to remove the pizza rolls from the air fryer basket. Be careful as they’ll still be hot at this point.
- Allow the snacks to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Additional Tips for How to Cook Pizza Rolls in an Air Fryer
To get the best results when cooking pizza snacks in an air fryer, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. This will prevent the pizza rolls from cooking evenly and may result in some of them being undercooked.
- Place the pizza rolls in a single layer in the basket to ensure a crispy texture.
- Use a pair of tongs to flip the pizza rolls over halfway through the cooking process. This will ensure that they cook evenly on all sides.
- Always start with a shorter cooking time and add more time if needed. This will prevent the pizza rolls from burning and becoming too crispy.
- Allow the pizza rolls to cool for a few minutes before serving to avoid burning your mouth on the hot filling.
- If you want to add some extra flavor to your pizza rolls, you can sprinkle some Parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes on top before serving.
If your kids enjoy a quick snack after a long day at school, knowing how to cook pizza rolls in an air fryer is a must. They are crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside, and you can make them quickly.
With the added benefit of being able to customize them with various pizza toppings and ingredients, you can create a snack that is uniquely yours. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
Remember to preheat your air fryer and avoid overcrowding the basket. Also, adjust the cooking time as necessary and consider brushing the pizza rolls with a little oil for a crispy crust.