Air fryers have become all the rage nowadays due to their ability to reduce cooking time.
Many air fryer users wonder, can you put glass in an air fryer? And the first thing to know is that not all glass is the same. Some glass dishes can withstand the high temperatures and rapid heating of air fryers, while others may crack or shatter.
In this article, we discuss the kinds of glass you can use in your air fryer and how you can go about it safely.
What is an Air Fryer and How Does It Work?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that uses hot air circulation to cook, reheat, roast, and dehydrate food. It provides a healthier alternative to deep frying.
Air fryers work by rapidly circulating superheated air around the food, creating a crispy exterior and moist interior in contrast to conventional ovens.
They only require small amounts of oil, lowering the calorie count in the food by a lot. Air fryers offer crunchy textures, and are time-efficient, multipurpose, and easy to clean.
Imagine it as a small portable oven that can cook and heat your food. Enjoy convenient and balanced cooking with an air fryer!
Can You Put Glass In An Air Fryer?
This is a common question, and the answer is yes, you can put some glass in an air fryer. However, it’s not advised to use an ordinary glass bowl in an air fryer for cooking.
Air fryers are mini-ovens that use extreme temperatures and some types of glass may not be able to withstand the temperature changes or the intense heat produced by the appliance. This can lead to the glass bowl shattering or cracking, which is a safety hazard and can damage the air fryer.
We recommend using types of cookware designed specifically for air frying, made with heat-resistant materials. But some of you might want to cook and serve your recipes in the same glass bowl for aesthetics or any other reason.
If so, here are some tips for using a glass bowl in an air fryer.
Air Fryer-Safe Glass Bowls
Not all glass is created equal when it comes to using it in an air fryer. A common glass bowl isn’t resilient enough to bear the rapidly rising temperatures of an air fryer.
But several brands make glass bowls perfect for use in an air fryer. One of them is PYREX.
PYREX is a well-known brand that manufactures ovenproof dishes made of borosilicate glass that is perfect for use in air fryers.
This type of glass is designed to withstand rapid temperatures since it is created at high temperatures. Pyrex makes soda-lime and borosilicate glass, – only buy the borosilicate PYREX glass bowls for an air fryer.
Most Pyrex bowls are too large to fit in an air fryer. That means you will have to shop for a smaller one to fit perfectly – check out brands like OXO, PrepNaturals, and Frego for air fryer-safe glass.
Find Out If Your Glassware Is Safe For An Air Fryer
Check for the ‘oven safe’ symbol on your glassware before use. There might be a label on the glassware itself or on the box it came in. You might also find instructions on the brand’s website.
If you find an oven-safe symbol you may even call the company to confirm their use in an air fryer.
Regular glass bowls used for refrigerator storage are not oven safe and putting one in your air fryer will break it. Keep your food containers separate from your air fryer bowels to avoid confusion.
Alternatives to Glass Cookware for Air Fryers
If you prefer not to use glass in your air fryer or do not have oven-safe glass bowls, several alternative materials can be used safely in an air fryer.
Another option for air frying food like chicken wings or potato wedges is to line your air fryer tray with parchment paper. You can even wrap your food in aluminum foil, and it will get a nice steamy cook easily.
Corningware is also a brand of cookware first introduced by the company that makes Pyrex. It can withstand thermal shock and be used for both cooking and serving. It also makes an aesthetic option since it resembles ceramic cookware.
Precautions to Take When Using Glass in an Air Fryer
There are some precautions you should take to avoid any accidents when using glass in an air fryer:
- Always utilize tempered, oven-safe glass cookware.
- Avoid using glass cookware that has cracks or chips as they can weaken the glass, increasing the risk of shattering.
- Avoid subjecting the glass to sudden temperature changes, as this can lead to thermal shock, causing cracks or shattering. Allow the glass to gradually warm up with the air fryer during the preheating process.
- Ensure that the glass cookware allows for proper airflow within the air fryer to prevent uneven cooking and avoid potential damage to the appliance.
Air Fryers and Glass: Pros and Cons
- Glass is a safe material that prevents harmful chemicals from leaking into your food.
- Glass cookware can help keep food like casseroles or cakes together in an air fryer.
- Many people already have glassware at home for use in traditional ovens and microwaves.
- Glass containers are easy to clean and don’t hold unpleasant smells or tastes. The air fryer can be cleaned with just some paper towels as well.
- Glass bowls and dishes may restrict the hot air flow in the air fryer. Air fryers come with special baskets to let the air cook the food evenly without leaving it a soggy undercooked mess.
- Disturbed air flow may cause the food to cook unevenly.
So, can you put glass in an air fryer? Yes, using glass cookware in an air fryer is both safe and effective, however, make sure that you use tempered, oven-safe glass and follow the necessary precautions. By doing so, you can enjoy the convenience and versatility of your air fryer while also benefiting from the safety and practicality of glass cookware.